The bear market has forced many to revise their FI goals and retirement plans. In this episode, Eric talks with Jason about pushing back his FI date, options he’s considering, whether BaristaFIRE could be the answer, the possibility of redefining work, and advice for others in a similar position. See the link below for the show notes.
Show notes may be found below the video
If you’re newer to the show, you’ll want to catch up on Eric’s story. We’ve listed some of the key episodes below that set the foundations in his life, business, and his recent financial thoughts + decisions. This is all relevant information to the conversation we had in the current episode.
- Our very first episode of Two Sides of FI lays out a good deal of important background for our respective paths to FI. You won’t want to miss “Our Financial Past and our FIRE Present” to get all the details.
- In “Two Careers, Two Paths to Financial Independence”, Eric talks about his journey to starting his own business. Given the essential role that this has played on his FI path, it’s must-see content.
- The two episodes describing Eric’s building of his business which yields 90% passive income are an important follow-up to the prior video. Check out Part 1 and Part 2 here to learn from his example.
- Our two-part series where we invited our spouses to the show is some of our most popular content. Learn more about Eric + Laura’s FIRE journey in Part 1 and Part 2 of this conversation.
- Asset allocation has been a key topic on Two Sides of FI over the course of our series. While our portfolios have changed a bit over time, if you haven’t watched our first two episodes on the topic (part 1 and part 2), this is relevant background. However, perhaps more important is the two-part series where Eric + Laura decide to move to a more conservative 70/30 portfolio. Here is Part 1 and Part 2 of that series, as well as some behind the scenes footage of how they made this decision.
- We’ve discussed the current market downturn several times this year. Our first discussion took place in “Our FIRE Portfolios are Down 20%, Now What?”, with the follow up episode, “Stock Market on FIRE – What We’re Doing in a Downturn”.
- We spoke with Safe Withdrawal Rate expert Karsten Jeske several months ago, and Eric references this in this episode. As we talked about in “Karsten Spoke, We Listened. Here’s What We Learned”, Eric later unwound some of his bond position moving to an 80/20 allocation.
You can find information on the tools we mention in each episode along with additional information in the Resources section of this site.